Triple-digit summertime temperatures are just around the corner. Heat can be a killer if you’re not careful and play it cool. Here are things to remember when the temperatures start to soar. Most healthy adults can cope with heat; their bodies are able to maintain normal temperatures…up to a point. Here are five ideas to keep your house and yourself cool:
- If your area cools off in the evening, take advantage of the cool evenings to cool off your entire house. Open windows and doors with screens to bring the inside temperature down.
- Consider using a whole-house fan. It is a “natural evening air conditioner”.
- In the morning, close up your house and draw blinds and drapes so the house stays darker and thus cooler.
- If you have blinds, close them or angle them upwards. That way, light is reflected up and into the room and direct rays of the sun are not let in.
- Set your thermostat to 78 degrees Fahrenheit when you are home and 85 degrees when you are away.