With the change in season, it is time to prepare your house and garden for fall and winter. Here are a few tips for you:
- Fertilize your lawn and aerate for good root development.
- Early fall is a great time to plant. The soil is still warm enough for roots to grow, but the weather is beginning to cool, so you won’t have to water as much.
- Trim trees if branches hang too close to the house or electrical wires.
- Inspect your home’s foundation and seal entry points to keep small animals from seeking the warmth of the indoors.
- Insulate exposed plumbing pipes.
- Use weather-stripping around doors and windows to prevent cold air from entering.
- Inside your home, install and/or test smoke- and carbon monoxide detectors. It’s a good idea to place a carbon monoxide detector near your furnace.